What We Do
Brief on Nari Niketan Trust (Reg.)
Nari Niketan is a Registered Charitable trust under Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 as amended by (Punjab Amendment) Act 1957 vide Registrar of firms & societies, Punjab, No 33 of 1960-61 dated 27/08/1960 and was established in 1955 by Late Sh. A.N. Gujral and Smt. Pushpa Gujral, respected parents of Former Prime Minister Late Sh. I.K. Gujral. Mr. Naresh Gujral (Member of Parliament - Rajya Sabha) is the president of the Trust. The trust has following functional institutions:
This is an orphanage for abandoned/destitute children (0 to 6 years) with the primary objective of adoption. The strength of children keeps on varying from time to time. We are a licensed Adoption Agency vide PUNJAB GOVT Notification NO 3/77/95-6SW/3260 dated 17 April 1996. Since 1996, 51 male and 220 female children have been adopted.
This institution is recognized for inter country adoption vide CARA memo No 6-01/2007-CARA dated 02 April 2008 and certification of recognition RIPA - 9/2009 issued on 30.3.2009
Home for Girl Child and Nari Nirman
There are destitute/abandoned girls above 6 years on our rolls. All girls are encouraged to acquire basic school education and brighter ones for higher education. Senior girls are finally settled matrimonially by the trust after finding suitable matches.
As part of their routine all inmates undertake basic skills like managing general domestic work viz. Cooking, stitching, beauty culture and assisting in handling babies of Shishu Greh. Taking their aptitude into account, vocational training has been imparted as under.
Name of Courses
- Stitching and Tailoring Course
- 6 month diploma in Embroidery by Govt. of India (Min of HRD) sponsored programme
- 2 year diploma in Arts & crafts teachers training in heritage institute & Lovely Institute, Jalandhar
- 3 year diploma in Leather technology (footwear) in Govt. Training Institute, Jalandhar
- UGC sponsored one-year diploma in Library Science in Khalsa College, Jalandhar
- Beauty Culture diploma under Swarna Jayanti Shahari Rojgar Yojana of Punjab Govt.
- 1 year diploma in tailoring & cutting in ITI Jalandhar
- 1 year diploma in Dress Designing in SD College, Jalandhar
- Tailoring Classes:: On an average 35-40 girls, mostly from outside are given tailoring training classes at nominal fee.
- Special School: : The school is being run on our premises under the aegis of Rotary Club, Jalandhar since last 6 years under NCLP (National Child Labour Project) after school timings. It has 50 children (from class 1 to 5) from poor families.
- Computer Class : A computer class is being run at our premises in collaboration with Aircel. This centre is imparting computer education to youth and children in the nearby areas. Now the strength stands at 75 children.
Help Line Activities
Women/girls and children in distress have been given temporary shelter and assistance for their rehabilitation through different Help Lines, Red Cross and District Police etc. In the last two years 26 cases have been handled involving restoration of lost children of their families, settling marital disputes and critical Human Rights Commission cases.
The Child line has started its operations in Nari Niketan premises w.e.f 9th Sep, 2011. This comes under the Ministry of Women & Child Development. The service is meant for children in distress. Anyone can ring up the Toll Free No. 1098 for assistance for children up to the age of 18.
Charitable dispensary has been functional since 13th May 2005 and the initial response of the concerned public has been encouraging. Free medicines are being provided to the patients. In due course it is proposed to convert it into a full fledged "Diagnostic Centre" for a number of serious health problems.